Monday, February 15, 2010

Administratively Speaking...

Being new to the teaching field, and having little experience on the other side of the desk, I had little understanding of how important the principal can be to the feel of the school. Not only is he a figure head and leader in a school, but the principal can actually set the tone of the school, from the students up to the teaching staff. As a parent, I certainly knew who the principals of my childrens' schools were, had met them on occasion, listened to their speeches at graduation. However, working with one was new to me. In my first job teaching, I found that the atmosphere really mirrored the temperament of the principal. The teachers were cliquey, the students unruly, the secretaries happiest when the principal was out of the building. As I observed more and more over time, I realized that this principal was a master of facade. Smiles never felt true, interactions with the students lacked warmth, and there didn't seem to be any real positive interaction with the teachers, including supporting them when they needed it most. In this new position, at this new school, the air is lighter, the teachers warmer, the students and principal smile at each other with genuine kindness. He is supportive of his staff, approachable, and caring. I can now see that as in any job, how the administrators work from the top, trickles down either positively or negatively. If the teachers feel supported, it translates into better working relationships, less catty talk, fewer gripes, more positive interaction, and better chances for success for the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment