Saturday, February 13, 2010

Nature or Nurture (or both?)

I have heard that teachers are born, not made. If that is true, my birth was a long time in incubation, but it feels great to be born! Maybe there is some truth in that saying, for I dare say that not a day goes by when I do not think of one or more of my students in some way. It may involve them directly, or often, indirectly, as something catches my attention, and I wonder how I might incorporate it into a lesson. How can I a make it fun and interesting? How can I make it relevant? I want to be able to take my students to museums, and movies that have some quality, for nature walks and  theater days. I want so much to open new worlds to them, to share with them their insights and excitement, and to learn more about how and what they think. Picture how wonderful it is to see something for the first time, to remember the nuances because of its newness. As a teacher, I get to do that through the eyes of my students. It is what makes me smile, and observe through a new lens. The old becomes new again, the spark reignited through the journeys of the students. Many of my students remember war in their countries of origin. I am fortunate and have no such memories. Many come from broken homes. I am fortunate, and have not experienced that lifestyle. Many have less than everything that they need. I am fortunate, I have always had what I need and more. Many of my students have the biggest smiles. Many of my students have the biggest hearts. Many of my students would greatly appreciate the opportunity to experience what students in other schools take for granted. I want to open the  doors that spark imagination and learning without a book. There are so many avenues by which to learn. There are so many paths on which to teach. I am always on the lookout for the new road. Mine is a teachers' highway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment